Your bilingual education in German and English for the international world.
Our bilingual HAK for a variety of life and career opportunities.
Team teaching in German and English
In 1996 the ibc entered the global age with the bilingual HAK. In a form of teaching that is unique in Austria - team teaching in German and English – you will receive commercial training with all professional and social qualifications in the two languages.
In addition to the intercultural aspect and the ability to study in two languages, you will also acquire a special qualification for the international job market.
Our bilingual HAK is unique in Austria!
- communication and professional skills in two languages
- intercultural learning to a high degree
- practice-oriented training
- team teaching in German and English
- international team of teachers with English as their mother tongue
- dynamic teaching and learning environment in which you can develop your professional, personal and social skills
The bilingual HAK trains decision-makers from tomorrow's global players on an international level
- training by native English speakers in a team with German-speaking teachers
- work placement in English-speaking countries
- language trips and project weeks
- high IT competence
- sound general education
- diverse teaching and learning methods
- projects with leading companies from the economy
- intercultural competences
Get ready for your future!
Our practice-oriented training aims to strengthen team and organizational skills, as well as communication skills in both teaching languages.
Our strong international and multicultural orientation prepares our students for their future careers.
- Work placement in English-speaking countries
- Language weeks (Spain or France)
- Participation in international practice firm fairs (e.g. New York)
- Excursions to international institutions
- Company visits
- International guest speakers and webinars
Determine your future - the whole world is open to you!
Choose one of the three main subjects of the bilingual HAK from the 3rd year:
- International Management and Controlling
- International Marketing and Trade
- Human Resources and Diversity Management
After your training you will have excellent linguistic, economic, technological and social skills.
You are also free to choose the following options
- Direct career entry with completed vocational training
- Studying at a university or technical college
- Studying at international universities
- Starting your own company
Stundentafel des aktuell gültigen Lehrplans
|Pflichtgegenstand||1. Jg.||2. Jg.||3. Jg.||4. Jg.||5. Jg.|
|1. Sem.||2. Sem.||3. Sem.||4. Sem.||5. Sem.||6. Sem.||7. Sem.||8. Sem.||9. Sem.||10. Sem.||Summe|
|Persönlichkeitsbildung und soziale Kompetenz||2||2||4|
|Bewegung und Sport||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||0||0||16|
|Englisch einschließlich Wirtschaftssprache||3||3||3||3||2||2||3||3||3||3||28|
|2. leb. Fremdsprache||2||2||2||2||3||3||3||2||3||2||24|
|Business Training, Projektmanagement, Übungsfirma und Case Studie||2||2||2||2||3||3||1||1||16|
|Officemanagement und angewandte Informatik||2||2||2||2||2||2||12|
|Politische Bildung und Geschicht||1||1||1||2||2||1||2||10|
|Internationale Wirtschafts- und Kulturräume||2||2||0||4|
|Mathematik und angewandte Mathematik||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||3||3||22|
|Technologie, Ökologie und Warenlehre||2||2||4|
In der Handelsakademie ist ein Pflichtpraktikum in einem Betrieb im Ausmaß von 300 Stunden zu absolvieren!
Prerequisite: successful completion of the 8th grade
Registration formalities: Please click on this link for current information.
Duration of training: 5 years
Federal school - no school fees
Degree: matriculation and diploma examination
Our educational advisory service will be happy to help you with any further questions.
FAQ by students and parents when considering the BIK program
- Do I need to speak perfect English?
It is more important to be interested in the language. You need to be willing to speak and make a serious effort to understand English. Watching TV, reading, and singing along to music can help you strengthen your language skills.
- When does registration take place?
We will put dates for 2021-2022 school year on the website soon.
- Will there be an admission interviews?
We will put dates for the 2021-2022 school year on the website soon.
- Will vocabulary be tested during an admission interview?
The interview is a discussion to get to know you better and to get a grasp of your language skills both in English and German. We are also curious to know about your reason for applying to ibc’s BIK program.
- What does the admission interview consist of and how long does it take?
It is only 10-15 minutes and we ask questions about you and your interest in the Bik program. The purpose is to gain an impression of your ability to be successful in the program. Of course, we look at the grades from your previous school, but social skills and individual personality are also important to us.
- What grade point average is expected?
There should be no grade ‘4’ on English, German, or mathematics
- Can we visit the school before September?
Because of the Corona pandemic this year’s Open House day has become an on-line event. There will also be no “Schnuppertag” for the foreseeable future.
- How do BIK classes work exactly?
The courses are taught by a team of two teachers, one German and one English mother tongue. There will be lectures, group work, role plays, et al and the class will be taught 50%-50% in both languages. Obviously, sometimes there will be more of one language than another in a lesson, but it all evens out over a longer period of time. At the beginning new material is taught first in German and then in English, so the students have a chance to understand the concept as well as improve their language skills.
- Are students graded on their English and German work?
The assignments, homework, class work and tests will be done in both languages, and will be graded as such. Will students be tested in both languages? Yes.
- What are the two other living language options?
French and Spanish are the two choices, there are also Chinese and Russian are also offered as electives.
- In what year do the following occur: internships in an English-speaking country, language weeks, and excursions to international institutions?
Because of the Covid 19 Pandemic all trips are momentarily postponed. Usually the Getting-to-know-you (Kennenlerntage) take place in the first year. The second year there is a sport week, the third year there is the work placement to Ireland or England, the fourth year there is the trip to France or Spain, depending on the language you are learning in school, there is also the elective English Ubungsfirma, which goes to NYC for the Virtual Enterprise International Show.
- Are there any existing student exchange programs?
Many students choose to participate on an exchange program in their third year. However, these are organized independently from ibc.
- Regarding the work placement/internship, how many hours are to be completed during the 5 years in the BIK?
The Department of Education has determined that 300 hours are to be completed before graduation.
- What exactly happens in the third year regarding "Schwerpunktfach auswählen"?
Can I only choose one of the three subjects?
You have a choice between International Controlling, International Marketing and Human Resources and Diversity Management.
- What qualification do I receive upon graduation?
Upon graduation you will receive a Matura (A-level equivalent/ IB equivalent) from the bilingual program.
- Will the Matura also be bilingual?
Yes, most of the subjects will be tested in both languages.
- What are my options after graduating?
You have the option of attending university, going to work, or starting your own business.